Tyrannicide and Terrorism Response

The word tyrannicide is certainly something not discussed enough in today’s media because I’ve honestly never heard of the word until reading this article. I believe the author was right when he said that tyrannicide does not part far from the American Ethos; in fact, it is celebrated in some ways. Osama Bin Laden wasn’t a dictator of a nation, but his profile as head of a massive terrorist group puts him in the same classification as an evil, terroristic dictator, and his assassination called for massive celebration all across the US. 

Being from Pennsylvania, I had no clue what the Virginia State Flag looked like up until this point. I knew that John Wilkes Booth had shouted “sic semper tyrannis” after assassinating Abraham Lincoln; however, I was completely unaware that those words were on the Virginia State Flag. This, to say the least, surprises me. To have the quote of what was shouted after one of the most devastating tragedies in American History; the death of The Great Emancipator, on a state flag, is sad. Now I did find that the flag was adopted by Virginia in 1861, following their succession from the Union; however, following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, I feel as if continuing to raise a flag somewhat dishonors one of the greatest presidents in American history. However, in an attempt to comprehend Booth’s point of view, (in line with the views of most of the South at the time) I can understand how he possibly saw his actions as justified for the greater good of his people, the South/Confederates whose way of life was destroyed by Lincoln, thus making it a tyrannicide, not an assassination, to many people in the U.S. at the time.

Tyrannicide should not be about lynching; it should only be about removing a despot from power.” I agree with this statement profusely. Tyrannicide is, of course, a topic up for moral and ethical debate; however, I believe that the harm of one is worth morally less than that of the well-being of a whole society. Because of this belief, I would say that I’m definitely a utilitarian in most senses, and because of the way American culture cultivates our way of thinking, I would argue that most Americans also feel this way. Of course, I feel that the diplomatic approach should be our first, but I think it is fairly evident, fairly quickly, that most tyrannical dictators won’t comply with our terms and ideals; but that’s what makes them tyrannical dictators in the first place. 

I like the way Geroge addresses the fact that tyrannicide is assessed very differently from the common political assassination in western culture. Assassinations are viewed as carried out by professionals, yet tyrannicides are viewed as something done by the common man, making tyrannicides seem a little bit more desperate, and therefore just. Tyrannicides are also viewed as done for the common good, also giving them somewhat more of an ethically justifiable means. The great question Geroge then asks is what point that killing political figures, whether tyrannicide or assassination, becomes terrorism. The interesting thing about all of this is that it really depends on the point of view of who you ask, which is what makes this such a great discussion topic.

One Comment

1. Natalie Benham Natalie Benham

I agree that this is a topic that is not nearly talked about enough because I didn’t know what it meant at all. I am from Virginia and I honestly didn’t know that those words were on the flag and now I am a little disappointed and shocked. I also think that of course, having to (in the most extreme cases) take out an unjust leader in order to save the lives of the people of that country is better than having mass numbers of casualties.