High Trust Encourages Autonomy

I have known my internship supervisor since I was a freshman at UR. Earlier this summer, my supervisor mentioned that she had a project that she wanted someone to work on. That project is now my main responsibility for my internship. Her trust in me has prompted her to grant me autonomy in my work. On a daily basis, I decide what to prioritize, and I accomplish those tasks independently. It is necessary for me to be able to get work done on my own because I am not the only student that my supervisor leads. My weekly meetings with her serve as an opportunity for her to review my work and provide me with feedback.

From what I have observed, all of the staff members at Common Ground have great relationships with each other. The four full-time staff members have weekly meetings altogether, as well as individual meetings with Glyn, the director. Their positive relationships have helped them adjust to working remotely during the pandemic, which has made work at Common Ground completely different. The main reason is that for a few months, they were not certain exactly what they were planning for. This is because the Fall 2020 university reopening plan went through many different stages. The university considered several different options, so the Common Ground office did not have an established plan like they normally do. In previous years during the summer, they would plan the first few SpiderNights, organize trainings for Cultural Advisors, create flyers, etc. Now, they are behind work because they had to wait for the university to determine what classes, housing, and programs would look like next year. They have had to be flexible and think creatively.

The staff’s trust in one another to fulfill their responsibilities has allowed them to each have autonomy and work independently. They also have their own areas of focus, which is important in a small organization. They occasionally work as one team, such as when they are discussing issues of racial injustice. As the leader, Glyn serves as a problem solver and creative thinker. Most of the time, when making decisions, he consults the other members. However, when needed, he will make the final decision.