Uncategorized

Organizational Category

Antrim Grace Solutions is a small boutique Political Consulting firm established in 2018 and located in Richmond, VA. They have developed a strong consulting tradition that focuses on two primary areas: 1) bridging the gap between people and technology, and 2) developing innovative ideas within the government and other nonprofit industries. After just one week, I have learned a lot about the company’s culture. Since AGS is a small consulting firm, there are only a few employees. There are the two founders/ Managing partners; Heidi and Sam, and then their associate Saunders. However, they have taken on 4 other interns this summer. Since it is such a small firm, we all have direct contact and guidance from the partners. AGS promotes several values such as face to face (or video call in this case) constant communication, and the idea that we all work together, that no job is too big or too small for any one of us. Each meeting (two a week), I have noticed that everyone is very enthusiastic to get to work, and everyone is looking forward to hearing what our partners are working on. It is a very uplifting, supportive environment that they provide. Heidi and Sam do have very high expectations for the interns but are always willing to help out if we have any questions or need assistance. Each of the interns were able to sign up for several assignments that they will work on throughout the summer, and there are expectations as to when we must complete them by and the level at which they must be completed at. However, there are more flexible deadlines as several of the projects are long term or are ongoing projects that we are assisting on. In terms of the expectations for the content of our work, since we will be in contact with Congressmen and Senatorial Candidates, the research and work we do must be perfect as they, and other groups rely on the information that we provide to them. However, since this job is remote, and we are not able to be in the office, the managing partners recognized that we do have more freedom and there is less structure. Therefore, we have the responsibility to manage our hours and ensure that we are fulfilling the required amount. But, since I work in close and constant contact with them, they are always aware, or have a relative sense of what I am doing and how much progress I have made. Since we are expected to uphold the integrity of this group and meet the requirements and their expectations on our own, there is not the need to have the typical 9 to 5 work day. Instead, we have the ability to work in ways that are most efficient and effective for us. I appreciate this because I am able to then take my time on projects and do not have to feel as if I am rushed to finish one since I can work on my own time.

The ways in which people interact are generally informal. When I contact the other interns, I text them to set up meetings or ask them questions. We also use zoom or facetime as ways to communicate face to face. In terms of interacting with the partners and associate, we use email as the main form of communication (for ex. To set up meetings with them), but also are able to send texts for smaller, last minute things. Since we are at home, Heidi has acknowledged that it is not our typical workday style of interacting, and she has therefore said that we will be working in a more informal setting. For example, there is no dress code, as we are able to wear t-shirts, as long as it is not inappropriate (however if we are meeting with clients then of course we must be dressed for business professional). We do have two company meetings a week that are formal (not formal dressed, but formally run). During the Tuesday meetings, we have check-ins where everyone explains what they are doing for the week and have the chance to ask any questions or set up meetings with each other. And then on Thursdays the founders run training days where they teach the interns certain skills that we can use in this job and in future jobs. Just after one week I feel as if I have formed trusting and supportive relationships with the other employees as we are smaller group and working towards a common group.