Organizational Category

Values Driven Culture at Three Ventures

The organizational culture at Three Ventures that I have observed, so far, seems to be very values driven and goal oriented.  The Principal has clearly communicated to me the decision making process he goes through when accepting and evaluating new clients.  He evaluates clients based on their business models, as well as how well the communication goes between them.  While I have been interning here, I have been privy to the lack of communication and initiative from new clients who have reached out for consulting advice.  The Principal explained to me how although a new client may be a new monetary asset for the company, he has to consider how compatible it will be working with them.  This illustrated to me how the Principal weighs relationships with the clients over monetary assets for the company.

This week I was on some very important business calls that allowed me to observe the communication between the Principal of Three Ventures and a client.  There was an issue with one of the client’s insurance, so one of the phone calls I was on dealt with this.  The Principal clearly communicated to the two parties on the phone call what the issue was, and the timeline that things needed to get done by.  Both parties were very respectful of the other, even though this was a major issue for one of them.  After the call, the Principal debriefed it with me and explained the side conversations that each party was having with him.  I was able to understand from observations and hearing first hand how William decides to take initiative and communicate during a difficult situation.  Although the phone call was mostly formal, the beginning was informal, and William made sure to manage the emotions and set the tone for the rest of the call.  

This insurance situation also allowed me to understand the importance of William’s interactive role with his clients.  He was the one who recognized the insurance mistake and brought it to his client’s attention.  Although this specific aspect is not in his job description, William takes it upon himself to pay attention to these minor details.  He demonstrates how he is attentive to the client through a situation such as this one, where he went above the client’s expectations of him.  Mostly, William’s job requires his leadership to be focused on outreach and expansion, but I realized the importance of surpassing a client’s needs through this situation.