Personal Contributions

After my last week working my internship at Monster, I have the full picture of the opportunities I was given this summer and can really speak to the ways I was able to contribute to the company’s goals. The team that I worked on this summer found itself in a unique position. All of the analysts in the org were brought in originally to run pricing, build calculators, and provide profitability control on deals. However, because they were able to successfully automate that work, they have been given more and more responsibility in an environment lacking in innovation and leadership. As a result, the team was extremely busy from the day I arrived, with a back log of projects with no end in sight.

After I settled in and got my bearings, I was given the responsibility of heading up one of these projects myself. I was given the responsibility of researching our Search Engine Results Page algorithm, cataloguing our current processes, researching the practices of other companies who lead in this space, quantifying variables relating to consumer satisfaction, and ultimately building out a PowerPoint deck with a formal recommendation for what direction the Pricing team would have the Product team focus their efforts on moving forward. While the deck was my work, it became the official recommendation from our team for the project. My boss told me that the work was good, that he was happy to put his name on it, and that we had provided actionable thought leadership that the organization really needed.

After that project concluded, I was about a month into my internship. For the next couple of weeks, I was able to kind of work on my own, assisting another analyst in conducting surveys and meta-analysis to provide some answers for specific business questions the leadership was asking.

After that, I asked permission to start working on a business case for a technology I really believed would have a positive impact (on the bottom line, at least) at Monster. I was given permission, and for the last two and a half weeks I worked to research the intricacies of the technology, use cases in a business context, internal implementation options, and more. I even built out a detailed financial model in Excel with the help of an analyst who was assisting me, quantifying the project in a way I never would have thought I could. On my very last day, we secured a lunch with the CFO of the entire business. I pitched him my project, of which he was unaware to that point, and the corresponding financial model. He loved both, and excitedly told me that he would be running with the project and pitching it at the next executive summit.

The entire summer provided a unique and valuable situation for me to contribute to a company while at the same time pushing myself to develop new skills, subject matter expertise, and competencies. It was an exciting summer, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds!

css.php