It’s more fun with friends

In my last post on the leader/follower relationships in the Voices of September 11th office, I discussed the rather autonomous and individual nature of the work, wherein each staff member has unique tasks which they are to complete on their own, for the most part. This week, I wanted to follow up on this particular discussion topic, as there have been some significant shifts lately.

While the full time staff members are continuing with their respective duties, us interns are now working much more collaboratively and creatively than before. It has been a welcome and refreshing change from some of the mundane tasks which had dominated prior weeks. My work now is feeling especially meaningful and constructive.

About two weeks ago, we, the interns, began a new video project, which I described in my last post. We have been discussing themes and ideas for a promotional video, contacting members of the 9/11 community to schedule and conduct interviews, coming up with questions to ask participants, travelling for interviews, transcribing the interviews, and now, beginning to create a story board for the video using the content we have gathered. It is an exciting and dynamic project, one that requires ample creativity and effort from all interns.

That being said, the interns have a lot of ownership and autonomy in this project. We have a lot to do and we are determined to create a successful final product. In order to do so, we have needed to foster a collaborative environment, much more so than we were initially accustomed to. We have moved out of our respective cubicles and into the conference room, where we are able to narrate our work and bounce ideas off each other. We have been able to delegate the work so that we can accomplish more in a timely fashion.  With e-mails to respond to, interviews to conduct, and a timeline at the end of all of this, it is key that we manage our time effectively. Our bosses definitely check in on our progress from time to time, but they have, for the most part, let us manage this project. I’m appreciative of the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the organization.

This shift to a more collaborative work environment has also allowed me to foster relationships with the other interns, which is so important to the enjoyment of a job. Being able to have regular discussions and conversations with other like minded individuals inspires both creative work and a sense of camaraderie. This positive group dynamic has contributed to a more welcoming and enjoyable company culture, while also bringing about a more  prolific and effective work process.