Solving Problems/Improving Leadership

Week 4-Problem solving through self-advocating

This week, A new staff member and our 5th intern joined the staff. As I mentioned in my week 1 blog post, our physical office space is rather small and centralized. This created not only less work for us interns since the workload is getting dispersed between the growing number of interns, but also creates a packed and somewhat disorienting physical space, since the new associate works at our table. Since the “bullpen,” the main room where all the junior associates and the interns work, has filled up, it creates both a more collaborative work environment but also makes it crowded and sometimes hectic to do work. This physical space reflects the pros and cons of working at a smaller firm, for I have loved getting to know the associates while also am aware about the lack of space, feeling in the way, and feeling less productive

Seeing the new associate acclimate into the office environment has been a peak into my future, for, in a year, I will probably acclimating to an office in the same way: getting adjusted to the environment of the office, trying to connect with my colleagues, and getting my bearing on my positions and workload in the office. Sitting at the intern table since there are no open desks has made his transition less smooth, because he is essentially doing the same types of tasks as we, the interns, have been doing, which sets the tone for his professionalism and status in the office. Seeing this has only reenforced the importance of physical space of the office and how heavily it can determine the structure of the office dynamic.

From seeing this play out, I have learned an important and unexpected lesson that I believe will serve me well throughout my professional career. Throughout the influx of new interns and staff members, I have waited to be needed for a task or job. I did not sign up for as many events as I wanted to be considerate. However, I learned from observation and reflection that unlike in an academic environment, I am the only one that can advocate and stick up for myself. In order to be taken seriously and do the tasks that I can be best utilized for, I have to voice and advocate for myself. This is one of the first times that I have truly realized that professionally, it is sometimes ok to prioritize myself in that advocating instead of some higher objective. For example, this week I overheard one of my more intimidating bosses ask the new staff member to do a particular task, something that the new employee did not seem to know how to do. As someone who is well-versed the program that the task required, I offered to do it. He ended up liking my work on the project, and I hope now that this boss will come to me for future tasks knowing my set of skills. Being an advocate for myself is important, and will be the key in solving the problem of feeling unproductive.