Solving Problems/Improving Leadership

Decision making in the workplace

I just wanted to post a quick update here reflecting on my second week of 8 with Monster. I wanted to dive into how being in a professional environment has shifted the way I make decisions. While I have had many jobs over the years, from movie theater attendant to HR of South Court, this summer is the first time that I have had work in highly professional business environment. As such, the experience has driven a shift in my understanding about how key decisions are made.

Here at Monster, I have the privilege of working on a team that has a lot of bandwidth devoted to analyzing and researching high leverage decisions related to the core functionality of the business. The team works hard to synthesize and analyze data from internal and external sources. After using their experience to interpret this data, they trust themselves enough to make recommendations in high leverage situations based solely on these insights. This might not seem revolutionary, but I’ve always felt like I was missing something when it came to the decision making process- some sort of key insight or profound analytical framework that would give clear answers to any question that could be asked. Seeing these world-class analysts simply trusting their logical insights has been a confidence booster and has pushed me to make significant contributions of my own already.

Not only have I been able to make significant contributions, but the degree to which they have turned me loose and asked for my “fresh-eyes” perspective on a number of issues has pushed me to think big, and I’ve had some fun crackpot ideas already. Fun, confidence boosting stuff!

Anyways, I am still enjoying my time here at Monster and I truly believe I have already grown in leaps and bounds as a decision maker.

One thought on “Decision making in the workplace

• Glad to hear that your time at Monster has already helped clarify/understand decision making in a professional setting, very useful and transferrable skill. You don’t really address the items in the prompt (you were asked to address at least two of those), so for the future you might take a look at the prompt before responding. Looking forward to hearing about some of the contributions you’re able to make with your fresh-eyes.