Leader Follower Relations: Intern and Mentor

After having completed my first week of my internship at Guidepoint, I have already recognized many resemblances to our Theories and Models topics from the Jepson School of Leadership Studies. Specifically, week one has exposed me to the importance of leader follower relations in the real-world, office setting.

Being a new intern in a class of 31, I was looking for any sort of leadership from an individual at Guidepoint in an effort to grasp onto them for comfort and ease in this new situation. As it turns out, Guidepoint assigns all interns “buddies” who are employees meant to be our point of reference throughout our internship. As the days, and ultimately the week, passed by I was shocked to look back and recognize the effortless authority I credited to my buddy, Tom, merely because I was looking for it. However, Tom has been an excellent mentor who has really shown me the ropes during my first week. I rely on him for assignments, for a breakdown on the office and its standards, as well as any other peculiar questions or concerns I have had. This leadership role he as assumed for me in the office, with me being the follower, has been immense for my own personal comfort and efficiency. Since I was looking for guidance within the office, and Tom perfectly fit the bill for my craving, I believe the leader follower relation we have created is what I have needed to be comfortable and efficient.

Without his guidance, my week would have been far more stressful and I would have been craving for such guidance elsewhere. And I cannot be certain if I would have found it. What shocks me most as I reflect on week one is how badly I needed the connection leaders and followers inherently create. The bond really liberates the leader so much as it liberates the follower. The dual possession of power resonates with countless discussions in Theories and Models about how the relationship is mutual. Obviously, I cannot speak on behalf of Tom, but after my studies in Jepson, I have a funny feeling his assumed role of leader for me has given him some increased, positive disinhibiting behaviors as a result of our connection.

All in all, week one at Guidepoint has been an absolute blast and I cannot wait to work, recognize my leadership studies in the office setting, and continue to reflect on the immense connections between the two!

One thought on “Leader Follower Relations: Intern and Mentor

• Sounds like Guidepoint has a good plan providing ‘buddies;’ it not only helps new employees get oriented, it sounds like it provides a vehicle by which work is assigned, questions are answered, guidance is provided, etc. As the weeks continue, i will be interested to learn the extent to which work becomes more autonomous (if it does) and at what point buddies and other supervisors let go of the reigns and let individuals work independently. It sounds like in some ways ‘buddies’ are less formal leaders within the organization (particularly if it is expected that all employees will serve as buddies and it is not a) selective or b) self-selective). Will be interested to learn more about how those with less formal leadership roles are able to influence others, etc.