Communication and Workplace Inefficiencies

Working in Brand Management requires a significant amount of cross collaboration between people, teams, and departments. It is nearly impossible to acquire all relevant information for projects alone, and especially as an intern, it can feel at times like there is a lack of direction with so many possibilities for avenues to move forward with work. Although my mentors and manager mean well, I am not entirely sure if they understand some of the struggles the interns go through to complete projects. I have often found that I am not asking the right questions to the right people, which creates a lot of inefficiencies with work completion. As a manager, it is important to know this and be present for new hires to make sure that everything is going smoothly. Not only will this make the internship better for the intern, but it also allows for more productive work, thus aiding the company. I have found that as a leader, my manager is not always present. Although there are plenty of people I can ask for help, my manager is the most knowledgeable about the projects that I am working on and so it would be important for her to lead with more of a direction. Instead of reporting to her each week, as has been the case, utilizing her leadership position to create a more concrete direction could greatly improve productivity in the office.

Similarly, with such an emphasis put on communication, I have noticed that a majority of people’s days are spent in meetings and on the phone to gather information for their own projects. While these forms of communication are absolutely important, it also creates inefficiencies in the office with so much time and energy spent on finding the right people and data. Although I currently do not have a solution to this inefficiency, I can foresee the possibility of close working conditions between co-workers and an “open door” policy aiding in the quick spread of information. Naturally, because the current headquarters for Altria is under construction, the working condition and layout are not what they usually are since people are spread out over a variety of different working locations. Perhaps in eighteen months when the renovations are complete, and employees work together in the same location again, communication might become more efficient. Regardless, efficient communication is important for a well-functioning company, and I can see room for improvement in Altria.

One thought on “Communication and Workplace Inefficiencies

• ksoderlu

So, referring back to your ‘theory in action’ reflection, perhaps task structure (one of three elements of contingency) is lower – based on your comments regarding your supervisor. As it seems there are others that you can reach out to, it seems that within the organization there is opportunity for individuals who are not in formal leadership roles to influence (and lead to some extent). Are there any messaging systems or project management systems used (SLACK, etc.) so that individuals can keep track – virtually – of the various stages of a project, who is working on what, the progress for different elements, etc.?