Awareness

My view from the my reflection spot has not changed much since the last time I visited it, but my point of view about the people surrounding this urban watershed has been altered. The first time I reflected about Little Westham creek, I thought about the ecosystem around the lake. I talked about the organisms within and surrounding the body of water. I noted the human alterations that had occurred over time and I talked about humans’ inevitable connection with the environment. I concluded my reflection wondering about what we are doing today to assist the ecosystem we have destroyed over time.

Now, after 11 short weeks of being in the Geography of the James River Watershed class, I speak with a new perspective. I have taken the time to learn from my teacher, my classmates, environmentalists and the land itself. I have visited the river at many of its access points. I have collected trash for hours and I have painted fences around the river. I am now AWARE of the James River. I can see now how much has been created to better the river.…Such as parks that are well kept, websites that educate the locals, and signs at each entrance point with knowledge about the James River System. This river has created a community and this river is bringing people together. By bringing people together as a community outside, it is not only strengthening the relationship between the people, but it is also strengthening the bond between the people and their local environment, including the river. With this awareness of the river, people are more apt to partake in activities that promote the health of the river and the surrounding land. This creation of place identity is crucial. The James River provides a local link within the city and the Westhampton Lake, is a part of that watershed. The signs around the lake at campus educate the students about the environment around them. I believe these signs create a similar awareness that is being fostered at the James.

I hope that the student body can understand that even though our lake is small, it flows into something much larger than what we see. I hope we can continue to focus on making the entire student body aware of our local surroundings, because with this knowledge we can live our lives and protect our water at the same time. I hope I am able to see this lake many years from now and I hope that it is even more beautiful than it is today!

One Response to Awareness

1. Todd Lookingbill says:

I hope so too! I applaud the positive actions that the Earth Lodge community has already taken to help make this future vision a reality. Try not to forget about these issues once you graduate! I can almost guarantee that there will be some similar water body wherever you land. Also, alumni have powerful voices in shaping university actions.