Reflections on the Present and Future

Ever since my acceptance to my study abroad program in Atenas, Costa Rica, I’ve looked at this campus differently. At the ridiculously and unnecessarily lengthy study abroad orientation session I attended, I was warned about culture shock and given advice about adjustment to life in a new culture. Somehow, however, I’m not so much worried about realigning myself mentally as I am about acclimating to the astonishing change in surroundings I will encounter. Costa Rica is known for its beautiful beaches, volcanoes, rainforests and its unmatched biodiversity. I’ve been stalking the program website pictures and I am astounded that I’ll be visiting, let alone living in such a place.

Pondering my upcoming trip while lounging in the gazebo the other day, I compared UR to the SFS field station I will be moving into come September. In keeping with one of the largest themes we’ve discussed this year in class, I immediately considered the role of water in both places. The field station I’ll be living in overlooks the Rio Grande, and UR neighbors the James. One of the program’s classes is called Tropical Ecology and Sustainable Development, and a large part of the class involves studying the long-term and large-scale impact of agricultural practices. Through field trips to a Dole plantation and other farms, I will be studying the various irrigation and waste management strategies Costa Rican farmers employ in the attempt to maximize the potential economic and environmental benefits.

This idea ties into another class I’ll be taking, called Economic & Ethical Issues and Sustainable Development. Obviously sustainable development will be an important theme for me in the fall. This class will cover the idea of environmental responsibility, and the ways in which the Costa Rican government makes being green economically desirable for Costa Rican farmers. It seems like the U.S. could learn a thing or two from Costa Rica.

I’m beyond excited for my trip to Atenas in the fall, and have been struggling to focus on the goings-on of this semester rather than fantasize about what an awesome time I’ll be having in the fall. But I know that no matter how beautiful Costa Rica is, it won’t compare to the beauty I see in UR. Because UR is home.

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.