Spring yet?

Unfortunately, the recent weather has not reminded me of the picturesque “Richmond Spring” that I remember from last year. I remember my first spring here. It was filled with bright green and every color flower. Instead, the weather has mostly been cold, wet and dark. Today is not an exception. The creek that I have slowly gotten to know does not look pretty today. The dark trees and dead leaves remind me of a barren winter. Objectively, the weather is not necessary cold, but for me, being used to warm Texas days, it feels more like winter. The creek is covered in in a thin layer of foam, keeping the creek bottom covered. Despite the recent rain from last night and this morning, the creek is surprisingly low, leaving the edges of the shore exposed and covered in wet mud. Today, more than my previous days, is quiet. Few cars pass by and the small waterfall is soft. I enjoy the silence and the feeling of privacy. However, I learned that this feeling of privacy is more of a façade. After my visit to my reflection spot, I learned that one of my friends was driving by and spotted me. He was curious about what I was doing, but he thought it was an interesting assignment. Previously, I thought the passing cars were oblivious to my presence, but apparently, some people are actually more aware of their surroundings than I thought. It was nice to know that some people are aware of the nature that surrounds them. I was able to explain some of the details of the watershed in which we live and they were surprisingly interested to learn more about it.

I had hoped by this time of the year, my reflection spot would be blossoming with green and flowers. However, I will wait a few more weeks and visit it once more to see how my spot is doing. After spending time in this spot throughout the seasons, it has been interesting to see the change occur. I have never put much thought into detailing the changes of one small spot, but I believe this activity taught me to be more observant in nature.

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Spring yet?

1. Caroline says:

It’s pretty neat that your time in your reflection spot led to spreading word and knowledge about what you’ve been learning in class about our watershed here at UR. While many students are aware of the beauty of Richmond Spring, they are unaware of the sources these surroundings stem from–like the watershed that harbors the beautiful, blooming life that envelops this campus in the spring (although a lot of the landscaping is watered unnaturally). I’m so glad that your reflection time was able to make another student aware of the environment we have the privilege of living in on this campus, and I hope the word spreads further!

2. gappling says:

Thanks Caroline! I am glad you enjoyed the post!