My happy place

On Friday, we got a few inches of snow, which was very exciting and made the ridiculously cold weather a little more bearable.  That day, I only had one class in the morning and was not feeling too well (like 99% of campus), so I decided to use my spare time to rest in bed and watch the snow from my window.  I actually watched the snow for a solid two hours- which is not particularly remarkable because I often find myself focusing on little things for hours without realizing.  This was a good reflection time for me because it was the end of the week, and I was very exhausted.  On top of being sick, I was anxious about the track meet that I had to wake up for the next morning.  The snow accumulating on the ground seemed to white out all of the stressors of my week.

Anne and I were talking in the room about how the snow didn’t look like it was falling at all, just floating and fluttering like snow in a snow globe.  During the 2 hours of snow-gazing from my window, I fell into a Robitussin-induced delirium and imagined myself taking a break from a European ski vacation:

After hours of immobility, I decided that I was not dying and that it was time to rouse my senses.  I put on some boots and trekked across campus to pick up a package from the post office.  While cross-campus walks are typically burdensome, this one was not.  I instantly became Frodo during that snowy mountain scene in Fellowship of the Ring.

Walking through snow is a rare and fascinating experience for me, being from Virginia Beach.  We’ve probably had less than 10 major snows during my lifetime- and by major snows, I mean anything that sticks to the ground.

I was entranced by the powdery snow.  I ended up walking to the Westhampton Green because I had no desire to go back indoors.  I was spinning around aimlessly and alone in the -100 degree weather like a crazy person.   Looking around at all the white, snowy plushness was amazing.  It was like our whole campus had a surprise White Party like P. Diddy throws each year.  It felt liberating to be completely disconnected from my phone and other technology- it was just me and the snow (actually, texting with gloves was just difficult).

I guess I had two reflection spots this week:  one was my bed and the other was the Green.  They were both very important for me to reflect and escape to a magical winter wonderland.  It was great that I ended up feeling well and was able to enjoy the snow first hand, not just from my bed.  I am a true believer that reconnecting with nature is an effective way to relieve stress.  It was a truly wonderful thing to experience the snow the way that I did.  🙂

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.