Vacation

Last weekend was a vacation for me. Simply put, it was freaking fantastic. When I leave University of Richmond for any length of time, it can sometimes feel like a vacation for a number of reasons- mainly the chaos and time crunch that the Richmond Bubble brings out in every day life. I haven’t been home yet this semester so, aside from spring break, last weekend was the closest thing I’ve had all semester to a peaceful and reflective time away from UR- even though it lasted less than 24 hours.

To be completely honest, all I could think about in the week prior to the trip was the drive. I love driving. It’s one of my favorite things to do. It gives me responsibility and purpose, even if just for a small period of time. If you think about it, driving a car full of passengers a long distance while flying down the highway at 80 miles per hour is pretty reckless; you’re basically driving a 2 ton bullet. If you think about it that way (like I do), the responsibility of the driver increases to infinite proportions. And I love that- there’s something about it that I thrive for and look forward to. It’s also a time where I can think clearly. Driving has always helped me get my thoughts in order, the physical sense of moving forward combined with me sorting out my feelings and mental storage closet go hand in hand and the job always gets done. It clears my head and puts a feeling of ‘new life’ on the horizon. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was looking forward to the drive more than the camping trip itself. I’m weird like that.

However, as it turns out, the camping trip was equally relaxing and reflective. Walking through the woods with a sense of actually staying in the woods brought a sense of excitement over me and all my little issues and thoughts turned to dust as I realized the larger context of the world around me. My thoughts were belittled and my mind was absent. I was only concerned with my surroundings and the people I shared them with; it was a vacation not only for my feet but also for my mind. It reminds me of how secluded we are on campus. Maybe that’s a good thing though- how incredible would last weekend have been if that was the world/environment that I spent all my time in? It would have had the opposite effect. Going back to the urban sprawl that is Richmond would have been the best thing EVER and an equally mind-altering experience. Balance is key. Right now, I like the balance we’ve struck. Production and craziness combined with short bursts of calm are par for the course if you ask me. I’m right where I need to be.

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.