The rain…ahh a familiar environment

Looking out on this dreary, misty, 47 degree day, I cannot help but think of home, of a place so remarkably different from here. The shadows across the lake move, and I can almost trick myself into pretending it’s Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains are just beyond my reach. I squint, and I could be anywhere in my fair city, because the water is everywhere. However, the tulips bring me back.
Nowhere in Seattle will there be blooming tulips anytime soon, and yet here, their green shoots are braving our bipolar weather like true little soldiers. I admire their audacity. Like Mike said, spring is fast upon us, and although it may be confusing with the occasional snow storm thrown in, it is, in fact, changing seasons. How wonderful!
I love the spring. It seems as if right after spring break, the whole campus falls in love. Like more than Valentine’s day kind of love. I’m not sure if its the affects of spring, but it was something particularly unique I noticed last year I can’t wait to witness once more. People walking around holding hands, those “Facebook official” status changes, people generally acting happy and giddy around campus. How much are our moods, emotions, feelings…deep emotions (?) affected by the weather? I have to wonder. Is this genuine joy or just a fleeting, external response to the stimuli around? I prefer to think the former, but either way, it is a delightful season we are about to enter that makes it much, much easier to stay in the present and stop myself from dreaming too much about abroad.

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The rain…ahh a familiar environment

1. Mike says:

It’s really interesting to think how a little sunshine can completely change our mood right?! Seasonal depression is definitely a thing. I can’t imagine how people in Alaska do it. But they’re a special kind of breed anyway.