Nia’s Global Citizen StoryMap

As we read about in the Hudson and Dahlman readings, music has a strong ability to shape our identity and engender a sense of place. Music is much more than a chain of words set to the tune of a series notes. It is a lifestyle. It captures the emotions, the struggles, and the history of peoples. These themes of music is what gives it the ability to transcend national borders and touch the lives of many.

Throughout my life, I have been surrounded by various genres of music from countries around the world. All of these genres have not only invoked in me strong national and regional (Caribbean) identities, but also a love for passionate singers with strong vocals. Additionally, they have created for me strong emotional ties to various cultures.

This StoryMap is essentially a trip through the various sounds of my life. It is designed to take you on a journey through my best memories: swaying away in my dad’s arms as a toddler, belting out lyrics with my sister, and dancing with my friends at concerts.

Visit my StoryMap