Mariah’s Global Citizen StoryMap

Growing up as the child of a Homeland Security Officer, my family moved around a lot. I attended 11 different schools, three different fourth grades, and lived in 10 different homes all before the age of 12. When people ask me where I am from it is hard for me to explicitly say what my hometown is as I consider myself to be from all of the places that I have lived. I was born in Florida but lived in the Bahamas, Trinidad, Florida (again), Canada, and now Richmond. Living and experiencing each place has defined me in different ways and has contributed to my Global Citizenship status by making me more culturally aware and appreciative of diversity.

In my StoryMap, I talk about each place in small detail to give a sense of what each location has meant to me and how I have noticed that they can be connected back to such concepts and people as Seth Holmes and spatiality. I end my map in Richmond, Virginia because I believe that all of my previous traveling has lead up to me coming to the University of Richmond to further my Global Citizenship status and take advantage of travel abroad opportunities. I wish that more people would travel and experience the world as I believe leaving ones own home country is a good step toward understanding differences in cultures and perceptions and ending the always looming sense of conflict that seems to never end in our world.

Visit my StoryMap