Emmy’s Story Map

My Global Citizen Story Map shows how I am connected globally through mountains and hiking. I began hiking with my family at a young age with short day hikes at Crabtree falls. Crabtree is a campground and hiking area about two hours northwest of Richmond Virginia where I grew up. In the summer of 2011, my grandfather organized a trip for my family and extended family to go to Bar Harbor Maine for a week. Bar Harbor is a small town located near Acadia National Park, where we hiked for a week. The views were incredible and I grew closer to my family throughout the week creating memories and sharing in the intimacy of nature. Another experience I had in the mountains was when I went to the British Virgin Islands in the spring of 2014 with my best friend and her family. One Island in particular was uninhabited and was basically just a mountain that my friend and I climbed. When we got to the top, we stood on the edge of a huge cliff looking out over the clear water and islands in every direction, it was a sight I will never forget. I also had the opportunity to travel to Mandeville Jamaica this past summer for a mission trip. Jamaica is generally known for its beaches and resorts but Mandeville is a town nestled in the mountains of central Jamaica. In my opinion the mountains were just as beautiful as the beaches and the town of Mandeville provided a different perspective and a more cultural view of Jamaica than the tourist areas. Finally It has always been one of my dreams to visit Italy, specifically Montaguto where my grandmother’s grandmother is from. Montaguto is located at the top of a mountain in southern Italy and I would love to visit this area for its beautiful landscapes and importance to my family heritage. My experience in the mountains has shown me what it means to be a global citizen. As there no two same cultures in the world, there are no two same mountains in the world. Having the opportunity to experience mountains and hiking in different ways has helped me to see the difference in each place and recognize these mountains for what they are individually just as one should consider each culture.