Walid StoryMap

The globalized life that I have today is thanks to the people who have raised me: my father and my mother. My father’s family hails from the oldest group within Mecca. Whereas my mother’s family hails from an old group in Southern Lebanon. However, both have made long strides from home to get to their location today, they both currently reside outside of the nation where they were both born and combined speak more than nine languages. They both hold a different nationality, which gives me the advantage of being a dual citizen. Both told me that to truly appreciate home and grow up you need to leave it; hence I have been living the last seven years of my life away from home. They sent me to boarding school in the Alps of Switzerland and to college half the world away in Richmond VA, where I presently reside. Through this project, I’ve tried to show the link between both sides of family by the lives of my parents have lived and how it has brought me here today. I believe that in every conceivable manner, the family is the link to our past and the bridge to the future.