Mariah Mowbray’s StoryMap

I haven’t traveled much internationally, but the few times I’ve visited other countries have one thing in common: The Sister Cities International program. The Lexington, Kentucky chapter has paired with four locations: Deauville, France; County Kildare, Ireland; Shinhidaka, Japan; and Newmarket, England. Two areas can be officially designated “sister cities” after the highest elected or appointed official from each signs an agreement, and it’s based on partnership and the formation of a long-term relationship based on mutual community interests at municipal, business, educational, and cultural levels. One of the largest projects undertaken by any sister city pairing is a cultural exchange, and for three summers in a row, I was lucky enough to participate in three of the Lexington exchanges. These programs have increased my awareness of other cultures, religions, and languages, and have also, surprisingly, strengthened my appreciation of horses. The inspiration for the coupling of all of these cities with Lexington is greatly motivated by the prominence of the horse industry in the area. The equine connection has certainly colored my understanding of the locations, but I sought out experiences past this component when learning about the other culture. Through the program, I participated in homestays where I not only stayed with a family for ten days, but the student from the other city visited me and my family in Lexington. This is a testament to the quality of the program and the strength of their roommate questionnaires, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with each exchange student despite our different cultures, language barriers, and other differences. Each visit taught me that every place is unique, but people can, and will, always find a way to connect and unite.