Isabella’s StoryMap

I look back to the places I’ve visited in the past and I feel grateful for the people I’ve met, loved and learned from. I am a global citizen because I love being curious and independent, which has led me to constantly explore places and immerse in other cultures. I remember my childhood among breathtaking landscapes of majestic rivers, snow-capped mountains and the finest tropical beaches in Venezuela. There I learned to be kind, to make jokes out of the worst situations and to love family and friends with passion. Later on, I undertook a trip to Paris, France to learn French, what I did not know was that I would learn more outside the classroom interacting with locals. I learned to love food to the point of only having conversation about it and I learned to greet everyone with two kisses on the cheeks, which was troubling when I went back home where we only kiss once. And today, I am studying in the United States where I’ve been fortunate to interact with people from all over the world who are students like me. I’ve met Americans of course, but I’ve also made long-lasting friendships with people from Pakistan, India, France, Jamaica, Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Honduras, among many others! All of these experiences have taught me a lot, however, even before I started my wanderlust adventures there were aspects of my life that were already foreign to my own culture, at least to me as a Venezuelan. This story map will show how I feel connected to the world through music and dance, which I believe are both means of cultural identity.