DJ’s Storymap

This map is of experiences I’ve had watching and playing football, and how they have connected me to people and places around the globe. I began watching football on TV when I was 5 years old, and started playing when I was 6. The sport has since brought me to many places that I otherwise would have never gone to. It is also the primary reason why I chose to attend the University of Richmond, as it was the school that recruited me the most heavily for football coming out of high school. I was first introduced to the sport by my father, who also played football at the college level. Thereafter, he played for the Buffalo Bills during the 1992 NFL preseason. The NFL fan experience has allowed for me to attend games in different locations, as well as watch them on TV being played in different locations. Although football is thought of as a strictly American sport, over the past 8 years the NFL has hosted several games in London, UK. There has even been speculation that within the next decade, an NFL franchise could be placed in London. As a football player myself (I play punter), I have trained with many different coaches from across the country, as well as one from Australia, in order perfect my craft. Through this StoryMap, I intend to show my audience how watching and playing football has allowed me to become a global citizen.