Cady Hoffman: StoryMap

In my life and travels, food has become not just a life source but a method of experiencing other cultures and connecting with the world around me. My favorite restaurants around the world have impacted me as a person and informed me about the study of geography and its impacts. From Buffalo to Budapest, each of my favorite meals reminds me of the people I experienced it with and the memories that we share. For example, when I think of my decision to enroll in the University of Richmond, I am reminded of the dinner at the Jefferson Hotel where my family dined on Southern cuisine. As I experienced authentic Italian pasta, goulash in Hungary, Sachertorte and Wiener schnitzel in Vienna, I learned more and more about these cultures. I gained important insights about these people and places through my travel and immersions in these locales. Today I bring these reflections and look forward to more valuable opportunities where I can learn about my world. Food is a method of exploring cultures and is one of the ways that connects us all. When I travel and experience the local culture, I become a global citizen.