Aaron Parisier’s Global Citizen StoryMap

It is unfortunate that my history as a global citizen has its roots and foundation in the Nazi Invasion of Europe during World War II, where my family has its origins both in France and Poland. Their forced diaspora was the result of the atrocities of the Holocaust, where the majority of my family perished. Although my introduction is a tragically sad one, my story is one of perseverance, determination, hard work, and hope. Even though they did not initially speak the language, my grandparents came to this country with a dream. They believed that they could create a new life for themselves without the overarching fear of religious persecution, which they did. Both of my sets of grandparents rose from the ashes of the Holocaust and World War II and became distinguished members of their distinct communities. My father’s parents established a non-for-profit organization that helps deaf children regain their hearing by providing them with cochlear implants. My mother’s parents run a custom tailor shop that could be considered a Richmond institution by many of its customers. They are also called upon by many schools and universities throughout the East Coast to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive. This family history has kept me keenly aware of the geo-political climate around the world, and has made me sensitive to international crises. My grandparents are truly the main source of inspiration in my life, and I am honored to share their story with you.