3 thoughts on “REGENIA MILLER’S PRESENTATION

• Samantha Burns

Thank you for your presentation. I found your arguments for experimental parole to be really interesting; I think this would be a great idea, especially for non-violent offenders. I’d also like the add that the limitation of conjugal visits to ‘spouses’ is an incredibly heteronormative policy. I would definitely argue for allowing any person close to the inmate to be allowed in for a conjugal visit. Regulating incarcerated women’s sexuality to only include marital sex is reinforcing a lot of the heteronormativy sexual morality found in the prison system already.

• Anna Marston

Awesome presentation, Regenia! I really enjoyed viewing it. This is so important because I feel as if most people’s perception of visitations come from movies and TV shows that don’t show the reality and importance of interacting with family and friends. I also wonder how important race and class come into play when thinking of conjugal visits–I think of the Ted Bundy movie and how he got to visit his girlfriend, where she eventually got pregnant. BUT, this would certainly not fly for a lot of institutions where prisoners face racial/gender/class stereotypes with much more stringent rules.

• Reginia:
    I enjoyed this Prezi–especially your “Objections.” Nice touch. Are there good reasons for requiring that people be legally married? Do you know if any prisons allow same-sex visitations? Is this really a privilege, or a human right?