4 thoughts on “AVERY WASSON’S PRESENTATION

• Regenia Miller

The thought of pregnant women even being chained up makes me uncomfortable, so I can only imagine what its like for those who are or have been shackled while pregnant. The stress is brought upon them for no apparent reason other than to exert dominance. The complete ban of shackling should be the only option opted for! Well done, Avery.

• The slides in this presentation are well-designed, but it is very short. (I realize that you may have planned to fill things in when you did the actual presentation.) I think, however, we may have benefitted from more information about how many babies’ and mothers’ lives are lost in childbirth in prison. Also, do most inmates actually deliver in their cells, or do they just go through labor in the cell? Good work.

• Anna Marston

The photographs and the personal stories of shackled women in labor was so heartbreaking, but this is so important and such a pressing human rights issue. This was an awesome presentation and I hope policymakers/legislation will listen to these recommendations someday!

• Elizabeth Schultz

This topic is related to what I did my presentation/paper on, so it was interesting/horrifying to read a more in depth account of shackling, which was only an example in my project. It truly is a horrific practice.