3 thoughts on “ANNA MARSTON’S PRESENTATION

• Regenia Miller

It is necessary to address the past in order to address trauma— I wish this approach was taken more often. I appreciate your acknowledgment of the trauma that Native American people experience; it makes me want to learn more. Thank you for sharing.

• This was a long presentation–about 29 slides. Normally, I would advise a student to cut the length of this presentation, but you have so much crucial information in this presentation. I especially appreciate how brave you are to include exactly why strip-searching for women is different than for men. It is unnecessary–just another ploy to degrade and debase people who are imprisoned. However, I think the solution lies outside of the institution. No institution polices itself. We need to think about citizen inspection boards, similar to the one described by Ms. Burton.

• Freddy Espitia

I appreciated the way that you demonstrated the similarities of trauma prior to incarceration and what one can expect once incarcerated. I think that if more prisoner administrators really saw these practices side by side with pre-incarceration abusive experiences, perhaps they would think twice when employing demeaning tactics that so closely resemble past trauma. There should definitely be more attention paid to sexual abuse in particular, given the gendered and hierarchical nature of modern day prisons.