Utopia is not just a place, it is a built environment. While re-reading my sources, keeping this in mind, I began to interpret my sources a little differently. I began to understand that every detail of the community is supposed to work together in the bigger picture. Every decision Robert Owen or Frances Wright made in creating their communities was intentional to try and create utopia. Robert Owen believe in a social structure that classified people by age. This idea seems simple enough that it is natural to organize people by their age, however, thinking about it deeper, I realize he is trying to accomplish much more than simply creating social classes. He talks about the trinity of evil which were having private property, absurd and irrational forms of religion, and marriage founded on individual property combined with some form of an absurd or irrational form of religion. I realized that his social stratification system was designed to naturally help eliminate the trinity of evil. Utopia is not simply just a space, but every intricate detail is important in building an environment that is utopian.

Blog Post 6: Utopia As A Built Environment

Post navigation