Pledge of Allegiance and “Under God”

I just did this segment on HuffPost Live related to the Pledge of Allegiance, which I’ve railed against in the past.  (See, for example, an article I did several months back for Huffington Post.)  As I noted during the interview, the “under God” part, which wasn’t added until 1954, isn’t even the most disturbing aspect of the Pledge.  Its history is at least as unsettling.

In any case, the Pledge is in the news because the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts is considering whether a Pledge with “under God” discriminates against atheists (which of course it does, as well as against anyone who isn’t a Christian).  If the court finds it discriminatory, the flood gates will certainly open for similar suits elsewhere across the country.

Unfortunately, the more important issue–whether we want our children being compelled to endure a state-mandated affirmation of loyalty to their country–will not be addressed by this case.  Neither will the irony of people of color across the country affirming “liberty and justice for all” when that’s never characterized the U.S.  To quote Lupe Fiasco in “Strange Fruition” (a title that echoes Billie Holiday’s song “Strange Fruit”): “Now I can’t pledge allegiance to your flag / ’cause I can’t find no reconciliation with your past, / when there was nothing equal for my people in your math.”

And now, with a little infusion of Lupe, this is a legitimately hip-hop-related blog post as well!