Blog Post #8 March 5th

Two topics-

1. Non Fiction book compared to Blood on the River
  2. DBQ’s

I really liked the non fiction book that went with Blood on the River. The pictures that are shown in the book are great for kids to see because they give a great image of what Jamestown looked like. I thought that this book answered the questions that I developed while reading the fiction book. This book could have also been good to front load before going on the field trip to Jamestown. I wonder if this a good book to read out loud to the children or for them to just look at the pictures? One thing I noticed about this book is the dramatization of the people pictured. Somethings that pictured are not entirely believable. I wonder if kids will catch this?

DBQ’s was a very interesting approach. I think the hardest thing for me would be forming these questions. I want to be able to use questions that will get there minds going. I want my discussion questions to be entertaining. I would implement this into one of my lessons as long as the questions are really well thought out and I know that my children will get something out of the discussion following the questions.

One thought on “Blog Post #8 March 5th”

1. Haley,

Thank you for your reflection! I think the 1607 book would be a good book for students to look at before a Jamestown visit. I like your idea. The activity we did in class was a picture walk for you to consider using in this way. I agree that 1607 would not be the best read aloud. It is content thick and might be boring in such a format. However, as you look at pictures and want answers to questions a reader is motivated to read!

When creating your questions to go along with a DBQ, consider beginning with your standards. Use your standards to drive the creation of your questions. You will do great!