Blog Post #7

1. The lesson plan
  2. The field trip

I had a lot of trouble with making an “i can” statement on the lesson plan. I was having a lot of trouble coming up with words that would be kid friendly but still got to the point of my lesson. I did my lesson plan based of a fourth grade class so I tried to make it less childish but it was tougher than other subjects I have done. Along with that I struggled with the objectives for the day. It might have been because I did an introduction to Jamestown. Lastly, how do we find all the vocab we need for each lesson? is there I can make sure i’m putting all the vocab words on my lesson plan?

I thought the field was lovely. I really did like the distant learning program. I wondered how effective it and do kids usually stay on task for something like that and for that period of time. My only concern was knowing the right time in a lesson to include it. Would it be in the beginning, the middle or the end? Also how far long in the unit would you use it? Can something like this be used to show primary sources? these were all questions I had while we were using the program.

One thought on “Blog Post #7”

1. Haley, I will try and answer you questions:

I wondered how effective it and do kids usually stay on task for something like that(virtual trip) and for that period of time….If the teacher works with the “Maggies” of the world to plan the lesson ahead of time students will stay engaged. It is such a novelty for students to interact with someone on the screen in the classroom and they take pride in the process.

My only concern was knowing the right time in a lesson to include it…typically a field trip is a culminating activity. However, I have had teachers plan a field trip as the anticipatory set. If you do it this way, you will need to make sure the docent knows ahead of time so to structure the lesson based on the fact students do not know much.

Would it be in the beginning, the middle or the end? Typically, not the middle.

Also how far long in the unit would you use it? Can something like this be used to show primary sources? … Yes, a virtual trip would be a good way to show primary sources. I like that Maggie can zoom in.

As far as where to find vocabulary to teach for your lesson. You need to look at the SOL and notice the content terms that are embedded into the frameworks. Typically, those are the terms you choose.