Hot Topics, Hotter Classrooms

#1&DONE 0 Comments

Today’s lesson really stuck with me, as it did with the other Education people I believe. One of the other classes I am also in right now is Classroom Behavior Management and one of our tasks was to observe professional educators’ management styles. I enjoyed Chris’ style, as I’m sure his students do, too; Chris used quietly engaging ways of managing his classroom with movement, seating, and collaboration that many American teachers struggle with. I think if the room had been air conditioned, we would have all been even more impressed!

As an educator, I took away not just Chris’ lesson from today (which I definitely intend to try a variation of with elementary schoolers) but also his teaching style. It was honestly one of the first non-lecture style classes we had experienced yet, so his ability to switch things up, keep us moving and talking, and using life-size props to assist made him a strong example for effective, engaging classroom management. Movement has been linked to increased memory in school as it stimulates the hippocampus, less fidgety behavior from students itching to escape the classroom, and it stimulates endorphins, keeping students healthier and happier at school. Next time, though, let’s all chip in for a massive fan for the room so moving doesn’t make us melt like the Wicked Witch of the West!