Many nations…many hearts

Charlie's Angels, Uncategorized 0 Comments

Today, as we bonded as a group, learned more about the German educational system, visited the Gottlieb-Daimler Realschule, ate a typical German lunch, met with the Inema students, learned about migration and immigration in Europe, listened to a German acapella group, and socialized, I was once again reminded of something that I already know, but is so easy to forget – even for the most open-minded people.  Despite language, religious, and cultural differences, what unites us in our humanity is so much stronger than what divides us.

As human beings, we all need basic necessities to survive:  food, water, shelter – but beyond that, to live a meaningful and full life, we all long to love and to be loved, and to have meaningful work that sustains us.  It’s even better if we are able to travel and to afford some of life’s pleasures.

Today, I was reminded in particular of the privilege that allowed each one of us to be here.  I thought of the Inema student from Yemen who has been unable to join the group because of travel restrictions making his visit to Germany impossible.  I am cognizant of the fact that we are all afforded certain rights and privileges by virtue of where we happen to be born – and of the political situation at any given moment in any country.

However, I am also reminded that the vast majority of people in this world are good and have kind hearts.  I also believe that it is too easy to stereotype and of the human tendency to form “tribes” of like-minded people similar to ourselves.  After all, it is human nature to want to feel comfortable and accepted.  I still know and believe that education is the key to changing hearts and minds to to solving many of the world’s problems.