Let’s Talk About Industrialization

#1&DONE 0 Comments

Riding through the French countryside (I looked for any reason to say that) I can’t help but think about parallels to American “farm country”. I am wondering if France experiences similar economic conditions in the agricultural industry as the US, despite noticing clear differences in the produce in both countries.

In relation to my “Now, wow, how” where I am looking at differing economic/social factors the develop cities I was pleased to see a small business every three steps in Paris. While the city center is congested with fancy, upscale restaurants and shops, and equally littered with overpriced tourist temptations, the neighboring suburbs are home to a plethora of successful small businesses. As we were leaving today, I noticed several bakeries and local restaurants with lines out of the door, bustling with business, while the large shops and malls were all closed. Sure, these same customers may find it more convenient to buy their patisseries at the shop next to Zara any other day, but at least the playing field is leveraged by letting the “little guy” be the only option on Sundays.

I am starting to see these small shops and boutiques open in Richmond, but the “big fish” are still in the game every day of the week (as far as I know). But the mall opens at 12pm on Sundays in Richmond, what if I NEED a shirt for church (or brunch) before then?! Maybe you’ll research a new place and find a small shop with the perfect piece for your ensemble, but you’ll probably be late, skip church, be first in line at H&M, and the last one to leave your bottomless mimosa. Should we take a lesson from France and give all businesses a chance to compete?