Losing Our Humanity

GOATS 1 Comment

be·nev·o·lence

the quality of being well meaning; kindness.

To whom did the world belong before humanity’s existence? Who was the first to give without having already received? Who laid the foundations of the world for us to construct our lives? Who determine(d/s) humanity’s pecking order? Who set the boundaries of the world and built its’ walls? Was it YOU?

For some time I’ve been asking myself and wondering what defines people, and at what point do people develop a definition of themselves. What makes them who they are and propels them forward. What makes people more passionate about one thing over the other. What I’ve come to discover is that one of the main differences consist of life experience(s). Where we are from, our upbringing, family, peer relationships, etc, determine how we respond to someone else that we don’t know, that isn’t from where we are from, or that doesn’t look like us or share what we have in common. As a result, what’s our natural tendency? If we’re honest, in my opinion I believe we seek self preservation and defense. For example,  how would you feel when approached by Person A in need with tattered clothes, vs Person B with a suit? Consider it.. Would it make a difference if I told you afterwards that Person A was a CEO and Person B was a felon? Why?

I say this to say.. As we take a look at the world.. I wonder how many CEOs are dying for an opportunity to live as they attempt to migrate/seek refuge in different areas of the world? Meanwhile, we hear and watch them die from afar, in our fancy suits and comfort-ability. Some might say there’s nothing that can be done and rightfully so, but what about the people we interact with and walk over everyday? Image result for homeless richmond vaHow could you love someone you don’t see when you don’t love the ones you do see? At home, homeless, or in the workplace? Why are those people and relationships neglected? Maybe because we think we don’t need them, or maybe we’re afraid of what we don’t know, or maybe we’ve already concluded that we know and have our own opinion. As water reflects the face, the heart reflects the man. Our hearts reveal who we truly are. Is there anyone in the world that doesn’t have a heart? What would it look like if we used it? Would we share more respect for the person we don’t know? Would we give them at least 1 chance or opportunity? Maybe its to far-fetched to have a little concern and care even a little bit, or have we already lost our humanity..?

As leaders and potential leaders, our level of engagement with our workplace could be the differentiator between a failed and successful relationship/experience/operation. How do we respond to the less desirable worker in the workplace vs those having greater success? Empathy, support, respect, care, concern, and kindness is for everyone.. All are acts of benevolence that make a difference.. Rather than thinking of what we can’t do, I think we should consider what we can. Its the small things that make the largest impact in our organizations and communities. Know, and truly know our community, and have a finger on the pulse of our organization. We all belong and have contributions that we’re capable of making to the world at large, I believe it’s only a matter of having a chance to place it on display.

We’re ALL immigrants.. Get to know one. Be the leader that cares.

#NOONE>THE OTHER

One thought on “Losing Our Humanity

• Casey Parker

Jonathan, this was honestly so wholesome to read through. You made some really excellent points that I think we can definitely consider more strongly after experiencing so many cultural differences with our INEMA colleagues. This reminded me a lot of one of the discussions we had back in Richmond in regards to grassroots movements to get social change started. With just a small step, we can make a big difference. I really enjoyed reading this; it’s very thought-provoking.