To Serve, NOT to be Served..

GOATS 1 Comment

What difference would it make if leaders spoke to their employees as if they were the CEO of the company? How would it change the attitude and perspective of the custodian if they were treated like the president? In what ways would this impact and engage them differently in the workplace? I tell you the truth.. whoever would be great among you must be your servant.. Over time I’ve seen that our values consist of ourselves and if we are not careful we could find ourselves pushing our own agendas at the expense of other people. It seems that everyone wants to be the boss, but at what cost?

Image result for leader vs bossWhat do we truly desire? Is it not to be appreciated? To be loved, desired, and given respect? Question.. What is 1+1? 2? How many people are on the earth? Just over 7.5 billion? How many people work or are involved with your organizations? So, 1+1.. Rather than 2, I say, 1+1 equals billions. 1+1 equals the number of individuals involved in your organization, in your business, your family, and your relationships. How? This is the impact of engagement and inclusion. All it takes is 1. For 1 person to engage someone, and for that person to engage another.. Before you know it, everyone is impacted by the decision of, 1 individual. Each and every decision that we make impacts, and influences the world around us. You know the phrase, “for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction”? What difference would it make if we didn’t look to our own interest but to the interest of others? Reflect on your past relationships with your supervisors.. Which of those did you appreciate more? Those that heaped large responsibilities upon you including their own? Or those that were willing to show you the way and take it on with you, or even willing to fall on a sword for a mistake that you may have made? I’m not sure about you but I’ll take the latter every day of the week. What type of leader do you aspire to be? What type of leader are you now? Is one better than the other? I’ll let you decide.

I hiked a mountain in Colorado a few months ago, 14,000 ft. Place yourself on top of that mountain.. If you could see from top to bottom (no trees, etc).. How clearly would you be able to see what 5000+ people are doing at the base of the mountain? Could you see little Jimmy throwing the football? Could you see the small child playing with their puppy? Who knows maybe you could see what they are having for lunch down there? Yes? No? If not, as leaders sitting so far up and away from our staff, why do we expect to know what’s happening with them if we aren’t willing to come down? In my opinion, I don’t believe leadership/management should be like a game of telephone.. Going from 1 person to the next until it finally reaches it’s destination, and the message has changed multiple times. Recognition, feedback, and relationships with supervisors/leadership are the top three driving factors of employee engagement. If you were to receive feedback about your performance which would you prefer? “Hi, the CEO said you did a great job”, or “Hi my name is ____ I’m the CEO. Thank you for the great work you’ve done” *shakes hand*. Bonuses and monetary assets are great and could cost an organization a fortune, but recognition, relationships, and feedback is priceless. Do to others, what you would have them to do you.

Image result for leader vs boss mountain

I’m always curious to know if current CEOs can recall what it was like when they were at the base of the mountain. As you look down from whichever mountain you reside upon. Do you seek to pull others up to share and experience the view that you have, or do you make it harder to reach you?

As others succeed, you too succeed. Team of WE not ME.

One thought on “To Serve, NOT to be Served..

• Grainne Murray

I agree that everyone in any organization has equal value and that it’s the synergy of the group that creates a successful workplace, one in which everyone contributes becasue they feel valued. You raise many good points here Jonathan. Another blogger from our group recently shared a video, which began with a view of planet earth from above. Your analogy of the view from the mountain top reminds me of that. Sometimes it’s hard to come down off the mountain because there’s so much to do up there – but the real work, the feet on the ground work, is what’s propelling the organization forward. How do we find that sweet spot where people feel valued and at the same time the high level strategy work is getting done? I believe if we all have a better understanding of each other’s roles, no matter what level, mutual compassion and respect would be easier to attain!