Thursday’s Class: October 13

Dear Scholars!

I hope you’ve had a restful fall break. As promised, I am writing with a couple of quick reminders about this week.

First, it looks like the weather will be excellent on Thursday. This is good news, as we will be taking a walking tour of campus and Bandy Field with Lynn Rainville, an anthropological archaeologist whose research focuses on historic cemeteries and enslaved communities. Dr. Rainville will lead us, along with Dr. Baughan’s class “Introduction to Archaeology” class, on the tour.

You might be wondering, “What does this have to do with our class?” The short answer is: a lot. Although we won’t be speaking specifically about the period our class is focusing on in the archives this semester, there is much to be learned about the grounds on which UR was built. To help give a bit of context for class on Thursday, there are a few readings posted to the website. They are short but important. Please make sure you’ve read them before class. Thursday is a great opportunity. I am eager to hear from Dr. Rainville.

Since we will be doing a fair bit of walking during our class time (part of which is a bit steep), we ask that you wear good walking shoes. We will meet at 12 noon at the transportation hub outside Tyler Haynes Commons. We will be back in time for those headed to class at 1:30 PM.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will see you on Thursday at 12 noon.

All the best,
NJM