Extra Credit Blog Post- Teach-In

I think the tone used strikes a nice balance. It showed how much the issues matter without being overly combative. Furthermore, the length of the event found the sweet-spot of ensuring enough material was presented, while also not allowing the audience to grow bored by drawing out the time taken. It was a cool sight to look around campus and see groups of people gathering together to learn as a community. The decision to record the teach-in and post it was a great one with the benefit of hindsight. So many people wanted to attend the event that the zoom room filled up and did not allow additional people to join. That fact combined with the knowledge that many zoom logins consisted of groups of people watching together shows how large the audience was. Unfortunately, while sitting in the Westhampton Green it was apparent who those individuals that did not find the event worthy of their time were. Almost every individual I saw walking around and not watching the tech-in was white. While the campus is majority caucasian, statistics tell us that if I saw ten people walk by (I saw more than that), only six should be white (I am using the class of 2020 diversity breakdown). Clearly this is not a big enough sample size, but nevertheless it was disheartening. Renaming Mitchell-Freeman and Ryland Hall is necessary step, but the campus as a whole needs to grow and learn to solve the issues plaguing UR.