“Impossible” Reading Response

I really enjoyed this reading and found it to be especially relevant to my own life and the current state in the world. I took a lot away from the Goska and Zinn chapters but did not particularly like the Kushner chapter. In the Goska and Zinn chapters, my main takeaways were that being a virtuous person or being in a position of power can be very differently defined by society versus the individual, and that to feel truly virtuous or powerful, it is essential for people to define it in their own terms instead of society’s definition.

In the Goska chapter, she discusses how people largely associate virtue in artificial/material senses: assuming that if someone has earned a high position, has expensive material possessions or worked for causes that have a large outreach and are commonly known, they are virtuous. While this can be true, the issue with this perception is that it minimizes the effects small deeds can bring for both parties and that often times, these little acts are the ones that can mean the most to people. I personally found this very relatable; in the past, I have done a lot of volunteer work that typically impresses people when I have been asked about it, however, I have often felt more virtuous in doing random acts of kindness that go unnoticed. I also thought the Zinn chapter on power dynamics was really interesting. I had never considered the vulnerability of power within leaders, but the way Zinn put it made a lot of sense. I agree with Zinn that followship is essential in establishing power, and that individuals have a lot of power in choosing who to follow. I also agree with Zinn that individuals do not need to agree with their leaders to be powerful. Looking at a lot of social movements throughout the past century, many norms today in our society are due to movements created by people who disagreed with their leaders at the time, and legislation was later passed to support these movements. I thought these chapters were very uplifting given the current state of the world and I’m glad our class got to read them.

3 thoughts on ““Impossible” Reading Response

1. Caitlyn Lindstrom

I agree with you; I had made a similar connection in one of our earlier readings in the year that followers often to not recognize the power that they hold over leaders and institutional structure. I think your analysis of the Zinn reading reflects that. The chapters were quite optimistic in the overall view of opportunities for progress/change, which I would attribute starting at the individual level.

2. Rashel Amador

The Zinn reading made me think of how perspectives vary in a society like the one we live in today. Not everyone agrees on the same thing and not everyone agrees with our leader, the POTUS. I agree with your analysis of how not all individuals needs to agree with the leader to have power. We definitely see that in social movements going against the norm, building momentum to create change.

3. Nadia Iqbal

Goska’s message really is important, how small acts of kindness should be championed just as much as more expensive and glamorous ones. I think in all of our lives, we should find that balance of working towards bigger initiatives, but also finding solace in the small acts of appreciation we give to others as well.