Favorite Ads

One of my favorite ads is the Steve Carell, Lil Jon and Cardi B Pepsi ad from the 2019 Superbowl. After doing the reading for Monday it is pretty clear why this ad caught my attention. First of all, it has several celebrities in it which we know will make it more favorable. Steve Carell is probably my all-time favorite actor, so that is what drew my attention. I think that for a commercial, Steve Carell is pretty funny in it. I actually remember that the first time I saw it I went back and watched it again (which is weird to do with a commercial normally I wouldn’t pay attention the first time I saw it). Additionally, the ad is fast-paced and has a lot going on visually, so the viewer is never really bored. Right at the beginning of the commercial Steve Carell compares a Pepsi to a puppy, a shooting star, and a child’s laughter. Right off the bat, we have comparisons between Pepsi and several things that make most people happy. Additionally, it has the endorsement of several notable celebrities and if they like it why wouldn’t I?

Another one of my favorite commercials is a David Pastrnak (a hockey player for the Boston Bruins) commercial for Dunkin. One of the primary reasons I like this ad is again because it has a celebrity (at least a celebrity among hockey fanatics) that I am a huge fan of. Not only is David Pastrnak my favorite hockey player, but I also grew up watching and playing hockey so everything in the commercial appeals to me. There are a couple of subtle hockey jokes that I find funny because I understand the game. The only time I remember seeing this ad aired was during Bruins games, so most people that watch the ad will likely be attracted to it in the same way that I am.

I do not, however, feel like these commercials really encouraged me to buy the product. I do not drink soda frequently and if I do I am much more likely to drink Coke over Pepsi despite this commercial. I already go to Dunkin sometimes and this ad did not make me increases that frequency. Maybe they somehow have subconsciously but based on my current consumption habits that seems unlikely. I think these were more just commercials that I could tolerate watching, but they did not do much to change the way I think about the brand.

4 thoughts on “Favorite Ads

1. Joshua Magee

I would agree since I have seen the Dunkin’ Pastrnak ad many times when watching NHL games and I have no inclination to go to Dunkin’ Donuts. I wonder if these ads are actually effective? Would someone switch from an alternative to Dunkin’ because of this ad?

2. Nadia Iqbal

Your final reflections are interesting! Yes, we love these celebrities, but we love them for their music, or hockey playing skills. Even if celebrities garner initial interest, I question how effectively this will cause an increase in sales, when the product being endorsed and the celebrity’s field is so vastly different.

3. Rashel Amador

I believe that commercials nowadays are really to peak the interest of their current consumers. I wonder if there are any studies done by these companies to determine effectiveness of their ad increasing the number of consumers to their product.

4. Anna Marston

This is such an interesting ad to choose as it was aired during the 2019 Superbowl; this annual event is a prime time for ads since they are curated for viewers to watch THAT day. I enjoyed your reflection of the Pepsi ad and the Dunkin ad because the inclusion of celebrities and professional athletes adds to gaining support for the products.