Implicit Bias Reading Response

The reading discussed how to bypass mindbugs and implicit biases. It says that instead of trying to “outsmart” them, it is better to acknowledge the ones that you have, and try to get rid of it. I found the story of the woman who changed her computer screensaver to pictures of various counter-stereotypes especially interesting. This is something that I will try to be mindful of, and do when I catch myself having a bias.It is a challenging thing to come to terms with. We all have biases, whether we want to or not. However, having biases does not make us bad people, as long as we do what we can to counter them when we catch ourselves having a bias.

I also learned about the concept of “double binds” in Dr. Hoyt’s class that she discusses in the reading. It makes me realize how it is possible to have two biases on the same subject, making it impossible to win. Dr. Hoyt gives the example of women being criticized for being strong leaders, and also being criticized for being “overly feminine.” I definitely see this double bind in my life.

One thought on “Implicit Bias Reading Response

1. Katelyn Inkman

Since trying to outsmart our implicit biases only makes us more prone to them, I get confused with how trying to get rid of them doesn’t do the same thing. Either way, we are actively trying to avoid our implicit biases so wouldn’t this mean that either way we are more prone to them? Maybe I’m just confusing myself on this…