“Blind” Response Blog (pt. 2)

I found this reading fascinating from the get-go. The example of a woman receiving medical treatment feels like a consistent example of gender stereotypes. For my Justice and Civil Society class, we read a black woman’s account of giving birth, where the doctor’s did not believe her when she said she was in labor and did not bother to check in order to be certain. Eventually, it became abundantly apparent and they took her into a delivery room. The baby was stillborn, and the nurse blamed it on the mother because she did not point out to the doctors that she was in labor. I was personally confused by the knowing versus endorsing distinction. I understand that knowing refers to awareness of the traits associated with a stereotype and that endorsing refers to the internalization and belief in a stereotype, but I did not understand how the author was arguing that they are one and the same. I think that idea is almost using consequentialism because the outcome is that the ideas of the stereotype are still floating out there, but I think that Kantianism is a little more relevant here because I think that intentions of a person’s thought process matter. Maybe I’m wrong and just missing the author’s point entirely. Let me know your thoughts.