A Glimpse of Spring

The last time I sat here it was cold, and desolate and eerily void of natures beauty.  In my last reflection I was caught off guard by the lack of connection to nature that sitting by the lake brought.  The present arrival of spring certainly brought a changed spirit to the area, as today is nothing short of a transformation.  The sun is shining and I can feel myself awakening from the tired winter with the extra vitamin D from its rays.  From the looks of it the whole campus and community have had a similar feeling.  The lake and surrounding area is alive with life: Dog walkers, runners, and students studying on the grass.

The signs of spring are apparent in far more subtle ways also.  On the ground I see green grass beginning to fill in the brown surface.   Along the edge of the lake I see daffodils in bloom and other plants beginning to bud on bushes nearby.  Some trees are beginning to form small green buds that should brighten up the lake even more in the coming weeks.   When I close my eyes I can hear birds singing all around me.  Their songs confirm the arrival of spring to the lake.

I’ve noticed a lot at this spot on campus and learned infinitely more about its cycle of life through my reflections.  When I first sat here the surface was so covered in ice I could have practically walked out onto it.  Looking at it today makes that seem unimaginable.  How could these be the same places?  How could the same ducks and geese live here during the frigid winter and during the beautiful spring?  Before I took the time to sit here regularly, I was like many students at Richmond; I appreciated the beauty of the campus and the lake in the fall and spring, but neglected to appreciate the natural beauty and resilience of this ecosystem in the winter.  Seeing the progression has been incredible and I will no longer view the lake or surrounding area as simply aesthetics, the presence of nature is clear and strong at Westhampton Lake as the winter fades into memory and life is brought forward.

This entry was posted in Reflection Spot. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A Glimpse of Spring

1. Caroline says:

I love the last line of this: “…as the winter fades into memory and life is brought forward.” Spring is indeed so lively, especially right now after Easter weekend has passed and the trees are in bloom. UR does a great job at having so many beautiful plants on campus that explode with flowers in the spring. But it is also great that you pointed out the life that is not so obvious–but still exists–in the winter months. While it is not as clear that the lake is living in the winter as in the spring, I’m glad you were able to discover in your reflection that the lake is indeed alive even before the blooming of springtime. Nice job Anne!