Unusual Volunteering

When I usually speak about community service, the word “excitement” is not usually included. However, working on the James River with Ralph White was educational and stimulating. Before arriving, I only knew that we were going to be covering some graffiti and picking up trash along the James River. I did not know this would involve going into a hobo campsite and picking up trash there. We started out having to cross a railroad bridge. Ralph informed us that this was a live railroad track and it was possible that trains would be coming by, although the train only came once a day. Crossing the bridge was a small thrill. The loose boards creaked as we walked. Half of the bridge was just holes going fifty feet down into the roaring James. Once we crossed the bridge, we had to climb down a ladder to the ground. We then descended into the hobo camp to see the day’s project. The modest abode consisted of a tent made of tarps, a fire pit and some cleared land, all right next to the James River. There was nobody home. We began to pick up a years’ worth of garbage. Canned food and empty liquor bottles filled many trash bags. Soon enough, a resident named William came home for a quick break from work. He seemed surprised and concerned to see me. I told him I was with the park people, just picking up some trash. At that point he didn’t seem too worried.

Throughout the day, I found myself feeling a little unsure if we were doing the right thing. To me, it seemed like we were encouraging homeless people to illegally live in the park and create a mess for other people to clean up. Clearly, if no one was living there, the health of the ecosystem would be in better shape. Although I felt like I was helping the inhabitants, I also felt I was supporting illegal actions that harmed the park. I talked to Ralph about this, and he explained his point of view. He felt that although the hobo camp was illegal on paper, it was practically alright. These people have one of the best places they could live for a homeless person. Also, where else would they go? Although William had a paying job, he could not afford to pay any kind of rent. If you kick him out of this site, he will just have to occupy somewhere else. It seems like this might be the best place for these people. If they can learn to stay under the radar and keep their site relatively clean, then maybe this could be a nice place where people live in harmony with the river.

This entry was posted in Community Based Learning and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.