Adventures of Backpacking

Since going on the fall break trip, I had been missing the hiking and camping atmosphere.  So when I heard that the outdoors club was going on a backpacking trip for spring break in the Smokies, I jumped at the chance to get back to adventuring.  However, I quickly realized that it’s really hard to just jump into a backpacking trip in a national forest.  After the first meeting and seeing the amount of gear I would have to acquire (and carry on my back for a week), I started having some doubts as to whether this was the right decision for me.  I enjoy camping and hiking, but I didn’t think I’d ever gone on a trip for an entire week before.

Once we got into the wilderness of Linville Gorge on the first real day of hiking with packs, I already started feeling beaten by nature. Although the day was absolutely gorgeous, having to backtrack and bushwhack our way to the correct trail made our whole group start to feel a little discouraged.  I was so tired by the end of that first day, I questioned how I would be able to continue for the rest of the week.  The first day and a half in Linville Gorge really tested my drive to stay on the trail. Coming into the Smoky Mountian National Forest the next day and having to set up camp in a parking lot and in the pouring rain made me realize that, once again, this trip was much more than your typical day hike, and it would test me physically and mentally.

The next few days, though they were filled with beautiful views, were also filled with monotonous, but filling camp food, sick campers, and freezing nights.  The advice and tricks from the trip leaders were the only way we stayed warm on those windy nights.  I never knew how useful a trashbag could be until this trip.  From keeping your pack dry in the pouring rain to keeping your feet comfortably warm in 7 degree weather, trashbags make your trek a lot easier.  Although this was a very difficult trip for many reasons, I have learned so much from more experienced campers that I feel much more comfortable in the outdoors.  Although I wouldn’t call it relaxing, this spring break pushed me to my limits and showed me how important positive thinking is while you’re surviving in the wilderness.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.