Discovering the Joys of Nature

Change has a way of creeping up on me and surprising me when I least expect it. I don’t mean monumental life changes; more like subtle changes in perspective over time. I wouldn’t say my perspective changes from day to day or even from one week to the next. But nearly seven weeks into the semester, I realize that my overall outlook has changed a great deal since beginning Geography of the James. Mostly, I feel much more free from the daily hassles of college life that I formerly felt bogged down by. I no longer feel like I need to get off campus or stop doing schoolwork to be able to relax and appreciate my surroundings. I feel a deep sense of connection with and appreciation for the world around me. I attribute much of this to the weekly reflections I have been doing. I also think the readings I have done and the discussions I have participated in for our Earth Lodge literature circle have greatly impacted my perspective. For this post, I will discuss in greater detail some of the wonders I have enjoyed in the past few weeks, some of the readings that have enhanced my perspective on nature, and my increasing fascination with human-environment interactions.

We began this semester reading selections from Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard. I was struck by Dillard’s ability to draw me into the natural world she was experiencing. I marveled at how observant she was and how she made it seem like nothing, from a passing shadow made by a cloud to the networks of bug tunnels constantly shifting in the Earth, was too simple or too small to warrant appreciation. In fact, it is the simplest aspects of nature that can provide the greatest beauty in our lives. In my first blog post, I reflected on my desire to feel more actively present in life by being more aware of my surroundings. I wanted to be able to experience the same joy described by Annie Dillard on a regular basis in my own life. Since making this commitment, I have been astounded at the beauty around me. I now frequently glance at the night sky to see how many stars are out. I pay attention to the way the air smells after a rain (perhaps in attempt to fall in love with my surroundings as Shannon did after our first trip to the Gambles Mill Trail http://blog.richmond.edu/james/2012/01/15/falling-in-love-after-the-rain/). I was giddy at the feeling of smallness I experienced in the presence of the millions of whirling snowflakes on my walk across campus during our first snowstorm of the year. These small gifts of nature have helped me gain a great sense of appreciation for the world around me. They have also allowed me to realize that the joy experienced from nature is far more satisfying and allows me to feel much more connected than my cell phone, facebook, and other technologies have. There is some comfort in the calming rhythms and harmony of nature, as Caroline shared with us in her blog post A Run Along the River (http://blog.richmond.edu/james/2012/01/26/a-run-along-the-river/). Through more active observation and participation, I am finding that my increased awareness of nature has increased my ability to tackle problems with a more balanced perspective than I did in the past.

Through my increased effort to feel connected with nature, I have found that my perceptions of the boundaries of nature have changed as well. I previously viewed nature as being removed from human influence to an extent. My new view of nature as being all around us rather than restricted to distant places is reflected in an essay I recently read. In “The Trouble with Wilderness; or, Getting Back to the Wrong Nature,” William Cronin portrays wilderness as a human construction, which contributes to the problem of human-environment interactions. In order for wilderness to be a solution, we need to perceive nature as being ubiquitous, not confined to remote pockets of the planet. The American concept of wilderness has morphed from a terror-invoking, desolate wasteland, to a recreation spot for elite tourists to exercise consumption practices, to a heavenly sanctuary to be divvied up into tidy national parks. People tend to view nature as being wild and untouched by humans; however, Cronin argued that nature does not need to be “wild,” or remote to be legitimate. In fact, if human presence is perceived as the downfall of nature, there is no longer room for healthy human-environment interactions. In his perception-changing article, Cronin urged for the most responsible use of nature, rather than abusing what we use and romanticizing what we don’t, in order to achieve healthier human-environment interactions. By perceiving nature all around us, even if it is a small tree in a backyard, we will recognize that the healthiest human-environment interactions are possible when we desire to protect what is familiar.

In addition to an increased appreciation for nature, I have also gained an increased sense of involvement with the Richmond area. This has been aided by the community service aspect of our class. I mentioned this in my blog about spending a Saturday morning at the William Byrd Community House Farmlet. In addition to feeling like I am helping the Richmond community, I also feel an increased connection to the area encompassed by the entire James River Watershed. Through my increased appreciation for nature and sense of community involvement, I have gained a greater sense of joy in small things in everyday life. This has allowed me to feel removed from the stresses of college life.

While change can be startling at times, reevaluating my perspective more often has allowed me to observe smaller changes. I have realized that it is ok not to feel engaged with nature 100% of the time. I do not need to feel guilty if I become immersed in schoolwork or social interactions. My desire is to feel present and engaged in life, regardless of whether or not I am feeling actively connected with the natural world. As long as I periodically check in with the natural world around me, I feel as though I am getting more pleasure out of the simple aspects of everything I do.

Cronin, W. 2007. The Trouble with Wilderness; or, Getting Back to the Wrong Nature in The Introductory Reader in Human Geography: Contemporary Debates and Classic Wrigings Eds. W. Moseley, D. Lanegran, and K. Pandit, 167-178. Blackwell Publishing, Malden MA.

This entry was posted in Synthesis. Bookmark the permalink.