Remembering Michael Stewart

I just wrote this piece for NPR on the murder of Michael Stewart, an aspiring artist and model who was beaten to death by NY Transit Police exactly 30 years ago.  His crime? He was supposedly tagging a subway station wall.  The story includes the horrific details of his death, the injustice that followed, and a broader discussion of hip hop and policing.  I end with the words of his mother, whom I reluctantly contacted (afraid I’d stir up emotions she wanted left alone).  I promised her I’d do my best to get her son’s story out there, and this is the beginning…

3 thoughts on “Remembering Michael Stewart”

1. I read your article about Michael Stewart. What really grabbed my attention was the fact that you had a chance to talk to his mother. That really brought the memories back for me and maybe allowed me to perhaps give her one small clue to his last evening.
    I believe I was one of the last people that knew him that saw him alive. I knew him from my job at the Pyramid club, but I also worked at Ray’s Candy Store on Avenue A. That evening I was working the overnight shift and he stopped by for something real quick, as casual as can be he told me he was heading back home to Brooklyn. I told him, “later” and that was it. He headed to the double L on 14th street. Contrary to some reports I heard and read, He.Was.Not.Drunk, nor high, actually he seemed to be in a good mood.
    As the writer that spoke with his mother, if you can pass that on to her it would be great.

2. Wow–thank you so much for sharing this. I will definitely convey this to his mother. She is, of course, adamant that we was neither drunk nor high. Although the city originally suggested he had drugs in his system, it turns out he didn’t, which your account confirms…

Thank you again.