Open TV

I think someone can be an effective storyteller without embodying that person’s identity, but only on a broad scale. When it comes to personal experiences and stories, I don’t think a storyteller can exemplify the exact emotions an individual was or is feeling. Furthermore, when it is about a social group, I don’t think someone can embody that group if you are not a member of it. Yes, you can support it and be an ally, but being in that group and going through the same experiences and emotions, is not the same. 

I think it is fair to judge a show based on its intersectionality. It is important to have different aspects of race, gender, sexuality, and class in a show to make it interdisciplinary. Another important aspect of intersectionality is exposing the system of privilege and oppression. 
In Aymar Jean Christian’s text, “Open TV,” he says: “Causes are personal before they are political” (151). This can be seen in television production when a topic or character is relatable to the audience. The audience relates on a personal level, before thinking about the political implications.