Camille A. Brown & Dancers performance <3

On September 27th, I went to see the performance by Camille A. Brown and dancers. Going into the performance, I had looked Camille’s website up, but I didn’t know what I was about to see. There were seven black dancers and the pianist was also black. Camille’s choreography was absolutely incredible. It was a combination of hip hop, ballet, and modern dance that connected history to a contemporary setting. It was full of energy and celebrated black joy through storytelling. As the dancers were performing, there were phrases on the screen such as “it’s you and me,” and it made the audience feel like we were a part of the performance. One of the performance stood out especially to me. It was only two female dancers, Catherine Foster and Camille A. Brown herself. It was called BLACK GIRL: Linguistic Play. It was meant to reveal the complexity of being a Black female in urban American culture. There was a connection between the two dancers as best friends, sisters, and two independent strong women. It was beautiful to watch them feed off of each others energy and carry through the performance in unison. 

I found a link to the performance by Catherine Foster and Camille A. Brown on a Tedx Talk. PLEADE WATCH if you haven’t seen it already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwBscuc08g